Winding down for the end of the year
As we move closer towards the end of the year, it is important that we begin to wind down, so that we have the capacity to maintain focus and motivation.
Practicing a consistent routine during this time, including self-care and organisation will help us to avoid burn out before the Christmas break. It is easy to become less focused and fatigued during this busy time, with lots of social things on and end of the year deadlines approaching. Follow these tips on winding down to avoid any related stress during this busy period.
- Maintain a ‘to do list’ each day – keep this realistic and don’t be too hard on yourself for not completing every task, instead move a task to the next day to help plan your week if it is not completed by the scheduled time.
- Keep track of all your work, especially bigger projects – It is necessary to do this so that you understand what work needs to be completed first, what is a priority. Once this is decided, then you can create your ‘to do list’ and schedule your projects around deadlines and what is of highest priority.
- Ensure that you are working hard but also doing things for yourself every now and then. This could include socialising, spending quality time with loved ones or family, giving yourself breaks and finding the time to do things that you enjoy, such as exercise or just eating at your favourite restaurant or café.
- Create a night-time routine – keeping a consistent routine before bed will help you go to sleep early and therefore avoid feeling fatigued during your workday. This could include, reading a book for 30 minutes before bed, turning off your device for this short time before you sleep, or preparing for the next day. Implementing all these practices will positively impact your sleep schedule, ensuring a fresh start for the next day.
- Finally, be nice to yourself – this is the end of the year, it is okay to be tired and perhaps feel a bit less motivated, don’t beat yourself up about this. Instead, create plans for the office shut down period and excite yourself to work hard before you can be rewarded with this break. Planning goals and scheduling deadlines before the holiday period will help you to keep on track of your tasks.